From lessons plans to resource kits, it’s all at your fingertips.
This page is dedicated to our STEM teachers and homeschool moms! Below is a long list, but not an exhaustive one. If you can’t find what you need, contact our education coordinator, Caitlin Yoder. We’ll connect you with the best resources available.
Mapping in Kosciusko County (Elementary School): Students will learn the location of Kosciusko County on a map of Indiana, how to determine scale, how to use the grid system on a map to find a location, depth contours for a lake, how to measure the shoreline of a lake, and the length of a stream.
“Adopt-a-Lake” in Kosciusko County (Elementary School): Students will research a Kosciusko County lake and design a brochure advertising that lake.
Water: A Natural Resource (Elementary School): Students will learn how much of the earth’s water is fresh water, be able to explain the water (hydrologic) cycle and trace the pathway of water through the cycle, estimate how much water they use in one day, learn what happens to the water when it leaves their house, and list all the different ways a lake can be used by people.
Cattail Study (Elementary School):Through instruction and dissection, students will be able to identify the different parts of a cattail and describe their function in the plant. Students will be able to list at least 3 uses that Native Americans had for the cattail plant.
Teaching Great Lakes Science (Elementary and Middle School): This website features usable data sets, an overview of teaching methods and ready-to-go lessons and activities. All the lessons, activities, teacher tools and data sets are free. Grade levels are highlighted after the title of each lesson.
Water on the Web (High School): This website is a complete package containing two sets of curricula, data from many lakes and rivers nationwide, extensive online primers, data interpretation and Geographic Information System tools, and additional supporting materials.
Project WET: In Indiana, the Division of Fish and Wildlife sponsors Project WET and has developed a network of volunteer workshop facilitators who offer workshops locally. Project WET is a water-focused conservation education program for classroom and non-formal pre K-12 educators and their students.
Aquatic Project WILD: In Indiana, the Division of Fish and Wildlife sponsors Project WILD and has developed a network of volunteer workshop facilitators who offer workshops locally. Topics include basic wildlife ecology and habitats with an aquatic focus. May also be offered in conjunction with Project WET.
Go FishIN: Go FishIN is the Indiana Department of Natural Resource’s sport fishing education program. The core of Go FishIN are Crew Captain workshops where adult educators and youth leaders learn about fish biology, aquatic resources, angler ethics and angling skills.
Aquatic Invasive Species
- Harmful Algal Bloom U.S.G.S. Fact Sheet
- Blue-Green Algae IDEM Fact Sheet
- Blue-Green Algae IDEM Video
- Blue-Green Algae Webinar
- Alternative Ditch Design Webinar
- Geomorphic Change in Two-Stage Ditches Webinar
- Purdue’s Two-Stage Ditch Webinar
- Influence of Two-Stage Ditches On Water Quality Webinar
- Why Farmers Chose Best Management Practices Webinar
- How Watershed Practices Can Promote Soil Health Webinar
- Urban Green Practices Webinar
- see “Lake Levels”
- see “Lake Levels”
- 2009 Flooding Forum FAQ
- Current Flood Insurance Rate Maps for Kosciusko County
- Future Flood Insurance Rate Maps for Kosciusko County (Preliminary)
- Kosciusko County Area Plan Commission: Flood Issues
- Lake Level Fact Sheet
- Sandbag Disposal IDEM Fact Sheet
- Purdue Extension Aquatic Plant Management: Identifying and Managing Aquatic Vegetation
- LARE Overview Webinar
- Limnology 101 Webinar
Lawn and Garden Practices
Policy and Permitting
- Clean Water Act 101 Webinar
- Indiana Fertilizer Regulation Webinar
- Indiana Water Shortage Plan Webinar
- Linking Watershed Protection and Land Use Planning Webinar
- Permitting Work That Impacts Streams and Wetlands Webinar
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) IDEM Fact Sheet
- Storm Water & Construction IDEM Fact Sheet
- Storm Water & Manufacturing IDEM Fact Sheet
- What Bugs Can Tell Us About Water Quality Webinar
- Conservation Effects Assessment Project Webinar
- A Holistic Approach To Water Monitoring Webinar